The Phone

My husband is really good at calling people.  He is a musician and is on the road a lot.  He does not have a tour bus or a van.  He has an awesome Ford that he loves that gets him from gig to gig.  He did not always have a bitchen ride like the F150.  Oh no...  he had a dreaded green character building van for awhile that would fall apart one piece at a time.  He had other vehicles that were not very glamorous too, but now he has this beautiful Ford, that carries him comfortably on  I-35.  A traveling troubadour should have a truck/car/van/horse that they love.  I know a lot of our musician friends travel in Prius' or hybrids.  I love them for loving the earth.  My husband is a truck guy.  It will be a great day when the two shall meet.  I believe Ford is working on a 300-mile Electric SUV due out in 2020.   We'll start saving.

But back to the phone.   Walt will call friends while he is on the road to check in, check up and reconnect with them.   He has a gift when it comes to thinking of someone, picking up the phone and dialing it.  He then does not pray that it will be a voicemail like his wife does.  He actually wants to have a meaningful conversation on the phone.  We have these phones and I heard they are really great for communicating.  If you press a certain button, you can actually speak with a real live person!

I have a tiny bit of phone anxiety.  I get nervous when I dial and actually have to talk to someone.  It's weird because I make my living talking to and entertaining people.  I like the people and  I am pretty dang social.  But even if I have to call the vet, I get nervous.  Stumble on words, get kind of sweaty, overthink my conversation after I hang up.  Did I say too much?  Did I sound nervous?  Are they judging my speaking skills?  Did I make an appointment?   Maybe I should call back to make sure.  I wonder if I can text an appointment.  

I am not a huge text-y girl either, but I will take texting over calling any day.  It's not that I do not like you.  I reallllly like you, just not enough to call.   Kidding.  Maybe I have an undiagnosed affliction called Callingfreakoutsweatysyndrome.  It is not widely known or recognized yet, but I feel that in the days to come, it will get more attention.    Really the only cure for it is, well, calling people.  Just pick up the phone like Walt does and don't hang up after 2 rings.  Give people a chance to say hel...

So that is what I did this morning.  I called two friends.  Left messages for both and one called me back so far.  I even answered the phone!  Big for me.  It was a lovely conversation with someone that I adore.  It filled my heart to hear her voice.  It made me sit down and really ponder why I do not like to talk on the phone.  I even might have called my husband.. or did he call me?  Well, either way, I spoke with 2 humans this morning.  Hell, I'm on a roll.  I might even call you.  Get ready.  

I used to talk on the phone a lot when I was younger.  I remember long conversations with friends & boyfriends...so long actually that my parents would tell me to get off the damn phone and stop stretching out the chord.  We had a vanilla colored phone in the kitchen by the back door.  I remember stretching out that chord so I could go outside to talk.  Otherwise, my whole family could hear my conversation about who I liked, who I didn't, what should I wear to the game and really important private stuff like that.  That chord was so stretched out that it could almost reach the pool in the backyard.   It was a glorious day when we finally purchased a cordless phone!!  Then we could go maybe 2 feet from the base and really experience freedom.  Freedom until someone misplaced the phone.  Then it would run out of battery and then someone would get in trouble.  It was usually me and usually in my room buried under clothing and teen angst.  

So today I will thank the gods for cellular service, cordless communication and the freedom to roam while talking.   I shall text not my adoration, but call and actually tell you I love you and miss you.    Good talk Russ, good talk.



Monday, September 25, 2017
10:55 am

Now to pay the phone bill...






Comments

  1. I am glad that I am not alone with the phone-phobia. Funny for a person who makes her living in a business where I talk too talk to people al the time. Still not loving the phone call part of it. We should start a therapy group. "Hi, my name is Jean....please leave a message with details so I don't have to call you back...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tina! I share your symptoms! It should have a name! So much better to reach the voicemail when I have a prepared message to leave. So glad to know there are others that I respect and admire that have a similar phobia. Now I have to go call strangers to help me figure out how to fix our malfunctioning systems while hubs is out of town.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just thinking about your sweet husband tonight and hoping his birthday is all he dreams it will be. Then realized I had not read any of your sweet words lately so I am catching up on your blog and come across this. Honored to have been on the receiving end of one of those two calls :) I, too, share in your callingfreakoutsweatysyndrome. And I answer phones for a living! Ha! I've gotten better...just don't ever expect me to leave you a voicemail. Ever! Still not over that one time I made a business call, left a voicemail, and ended it saying "I'll talk to ya later!" *facepalm*

    Much love and happiness to you all this lovely joyous day! Can't wait to hug all your necks on Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts