12 days

I know, I know. I have not written in 12 days. I got more than one "nudge" to get it moving, after a week. Honestly, I tried to sit down on Friday, Sept.11th and just couldn't do it. So many memories that flooded the TV and my spirit..it was just too hard. Then we had a weekend full of gigs. Wonderful, memorable gigs. Got home early Monday morning with just enough time to get Luke to school. I know..excuses. I will purchase a lap top. They cost as much as a latte these days..just got to dive on in. I think we may even have wireless here in this house. Seems to me that when friends spend a few days with us and they break out their laptops, they just pop them open and start blogging. They never go 12 days. I think the dude who used to live next door once worked for Dell. He probably has the whole street wired up. Or maybe we just have it..like some package deal that I am paying for that I don't know about.

Reminds me. So we got this new TV..remember our beloved Sanyo flat lined? Well, we got an early Christmas gift from Walt's folks and to each other..and bought a flat screen, bigass HD, mama of a TV. I think it's 104 inches. It looks huge. You know what really looks huge on it? Food. And not in a good way. See, I love the cooking channels. Love to watch and dream of a day that my husband will wake up and like cheese and sweets ( maybe even together) and I can then venture on into the kitchen and actually "cook" instead of just lets say..warming up stuff. But the bigasshdmamatv has me in a bit of a pickle. Food just does not look great that big. No food should be 5 feet tall. Unless it's dressed up, dancing around and handing out fliers.

It actually made me a little queasy at first. No Anthony Bourdain. No Rachel Ray. No Ace of Cakes. No Martha. It took me about 2 weeks to get used to the largeness of chicken picatta in my living room. Walt could actually smell the Parmesan from the TV. Hey..do you remember the scratch and sniff craze? Let's invent smell TV. How about a scratch and sniff button? Was that already done on Willy Wonka? Sounds familiar. But most brilliant inventions do. OK..like now on the Food Network, they are talking about meat pies. (on the little analogue TV in the office) (normal size food)...see, I want to press a button and smell what a Australian meat pie smells like. If I like it, maybe I would be inclined to actually learn how to cook it. Then my family would love me because I would have 5 things that I actually cook, rather than chicken, broccoli, pasta and random meats. Smell button. I will now be rich and can finally fulfill the dream of the community garden and nature center in the park next door. And petting zoo.

So, a package deal. That's where I was. So we now have the biggest TV in the neighborhood and all of a sudden we have all these new channels. 106 Spanish speaking channels. 25 kid shows. 300 sports. HBO. All up close and tooooo personal. You can actually be the bad acting on the soaps. How did we get these channels and shouldn't I get some money back for paying for them all the years I had ol' Sanyo and didn't use them? Where did they hide? I just don't get technology. Why do we need all these channels? Who really watches that much TV? It's insane. I do love to see all the bad face lifts on the soap opera stars though.. everyone looks like they are just so surprised, got punched in the lips, and all got a deal at hertz renta breast.

On Friday we played one of our favorite gigs of the year. Our friend Mike Blakely has a weekend out in Luckenbach, TX called "Fandango". 3 days of great music, authors and the some of the finest folks you will ever meet. It is a wild and wonderful scene and we have been honored to be a part of it all for 5 out of 7 years, I think. (one Fandango is a mystery..can't really remember much..the year we had a bus) So it rained on Fandango this year and Aaron, Sue, Roger and the friends back stage who were cooking for the artists, were flooded. Aaron started making a French Drain, to guide the water away from the electrical chords. Luke saw him using a hoe to make the canals and decided that he wanted to do the work. So he grabbed a shovel and started following orders. He worked for a hour, in the rain, in the mud and loved it. He then used the 5 dollars I gave him to go and buy a potato gun from the Luckenbach store, talked his way into a potato from the kind folks at the Feed Lot Cafe and started pelting people (mostly Security) with his gun. (harmless friends..it was a potato). This went on for hours too. He then got tired of that and went into the dance hall and started dancing to the band. Ditch, potato, dancing. No HDTV, DS game, computer games. The teens put away their i phones. I thought I heard a choir of Angels. Teens and children and people with dogs, all dancing to a honkytonk band, in one of the coolest dance halls in Texas. Magic. It was the real HD. Things just seem right for awhile. Maybe that's why it took me a bit to get back to the computer. Experiences like that I try not to shake off too quickly..like to leave a little on me while I drive to Walmart, the bank and to get the oil changed. Maybe it'll rub off on someone that day, and for some reason, they just won't feel like turning on the TV for the night..maybe.


Wednesday 12:22 am

Comments

  1. I'm so with ya there! Mom & I LOVE the Food Network & I remember when my bro told us he got a huge flatscreen. We went over to watch it & the first thing we tried was Food Network. We thought it would be exciting to see all that food close up, but there's just something very wrong about a pea that's bigger than your head! :p But I gotta say....watching the Superbowl on that thing every year is AWWWWWESOOOOOME! :)

    I wish there was an a la carte cable option out there! I hate that you have to buy a whole new package that comes with 50 channels, just to get ONE channel that you really want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, This blog reminded me of a strange occurance in our house. Everytime I leave the room, our TV magically switches from a baseball game or football game, or ESPN to either the Food Network or HGTV. I'm pretty sure I know how this happens, but you know, compromise is what makes the marriage work!! I have to admit, I will watch Diners, Dives and Drive-Ins or House Hunters International in lieu of an inning or two of an Astros game!

    Hi to Walt...and have a great trip out to west Texas...we wish could be on the bus with ya'll!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts