Oh how I missed you all.

We made it through the holidays, birthdays, anniversary, New Year's eve and Steamboat. We like to cram everything in right around December and January. Makes life a little more exciting that way.

For my mom's 70th birthday we bought her a mini lap top computer. She is totally hip and so much younger than her age...(70 the new 50)..so we thought it would be cool to get her some really bitchin' technology. She, of course, loved it. Barely even having a chance to type on this new slick machine, she lent it to me to bring to Musicfest, a super fun Texas/Red Dirt music festival, up in Steamboat Springs Colorado. She thought it would be great for me to document the happenings and perhaps report them to you all. I, of course, am used to cramming everything in my head and hopefully retain the fun, maybe important stuff to tell you all..and come home, wait for my husband to have a late night gig, put Luke in bed at a decent musician's time, pour myself a good cab and tell you all about it. I thought too that it would be fun to write about all the cool stuff that we experienced up in the cold tundra..but what I found out was that the cool mini lap top takes 4 days to type things on and 5 days to actually send. It was not my usually enjoyable writing experience. In fact, I tried to write you all..several times, but got frustrated when the computer lost connection and I had to sit with my thoughts. Not sure what was more frustrating. So all that to say, I am back. I am back with nothing in my head anymore. I did not drink too much. Nor did I spend all my time on the slopes. But things that were so totally cool a few days ago, lost it's matter of importance, I guess. So I will give you a quick rundown instead: Stuck in airport on my birthday, finally made gig, performed 2 songs, rocked the world, was queen for a day, spent quality time with my man, did not ski on account that it was -10, Walt rocked the world at his gig, we rocked the world on Friday, Brandon Rhyder's band ruled the world, Jack Ingram did a show in 5 degrees in short sleeves and bare feet..he rules the universe...then we saw him in the airport chasing his 3 kids..he might be Jesus, came home...celebrated being home with our healthy boy and sweet house and then we bought a mini van.

I know. You didn't expect that. I didn't expect that. The last thing I thought I would do after we ruled the earth and sky was to come back to Cedar Park Texas and purchase a f 'ing mini van. I mean, I was just a rock star. We were rock stars for a week. The kids loved us. They would say our name when we walked down the halls to our next gig. They would pull us aside for photos and autographs. They would tell us what our music meant to them. They would whisper when we walked by them, in the cold, clear night. Or maybe it was so cold they could not get the words out.. either way, we were in our performing glory..or I will speak for myself..I was in my performing glory.

You see..I have never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever wanted a mini van. It represented everything that I did not want to be. Soccer mom. Taxi. Giving up on sex. Ok..that about says it. I mean look at the names the car companies give Mini vans: Caravan. Odyssey. Voyager. Aerostar. Econoline. Freestar. Pontiac Montana. Terazza. (wtf?) Quest.

Nowhere does it say: Wild. Fun. Adventurous. Cougar. Sexy. Gunju (wild boar) Appropina (wild existence) Arawin (unrestrained wildness). No friends..it just says normal, suburban bread winner man.

We got a call from Walt's folks and they said that there was a deal too good to pass up. Their friend was selling a M.V. (can't even say it), for a friend who had just entered a nursing home for Alzheimer's patients. It was a beautiful, green m.v., low mileage, one owner and really really cheap. (on account that she wanted to sell quickly). They thought perhaps it would be a good thing for us to check out when we got home. So we did. The day we got home. I was still living in Steamboat Real World, starring Walt and Tina Wilkins, and here we were driving to look at a vehicle that I could give a s*&^%^& about. So we looked at it. Rode in it. Talked about it. I cried about it. And then we bought it.

Luke loved it. Walt liked the comfort and thought it would be a good family/travel vehicle..and the incredible price. Me? That was it. Life, as I dreamt it to be, was over. I had now officially entered middle age. I turned 45 and now had to give up sex for the rest of my life. I was not to be flirted with ever again. I was to adopt several children and give up singing forever. I was summoned to be a volunteer at the food bank on every weekend, drive to every YMCA event, work in an office and wear grey sweats. I would never ever color my hair again.

OK..so maybe I was tired. It was just too much after such a glorious week. I really saw us going to the next level of this crazy business..and OK..maybe I saw me purchasing a sweet 2 seater BMW convertible in the near future. Let's just say that this was not on my "dream board".

So the next day, I had to drive the thing. I had to get it cleaned (cause it smelled like little old man, bless his heart)..and I had to get it registered. I reluctantly took the wheel and took it straight to the car wash/detailing place. I hid in the corner when the employees twirled their towels to let you know that your car was ready. When no one was looking I ran out to the van, gave my tip and jumped in..drove to get it registered..and noticed that it was..well.. a real comfy, clean smelling ride. The seats were particularly cushy. I could see everything, on account I was pretty far from the pavement...and I felt good in it. Yeah, I felt good.

My dad, who was very practical, was smiling and laughing up there, I am sure. He will nod his head as we hit the road this weekend..and he will wink when we drive up to our next gig..knowing that there in the passenger seat is a huge ego, humbled and actually enjoying the ride.

Comments

  1. So you know, a m.v. will make the drive to Alaska very comfortable. I really hope that one of these years we will make it to Steamboat. Love you all! Ce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tina! How I love you so! This entire blog made me laugh. Then I got to the last paragraph and while still laughing I started to make that horrible ugly crying face and I am now sobbing! In a good way, but people at work are now staring at me and I can't stop crying!
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR BLOGS!!! Miss ya! Hope to see you soon.

    xoxo ~ Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I thought about you this morning cousin! Loved reading this!!! Blessings and hugs - can you feel them?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. not the first car you got from a a poor 'ol lady on her way to the home...I seem to remember a '74 Gran Torino (with a screaming 460 V8 so very clean...) that d.o.d. found ya....yup I loved that one...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts