boot camp

So I joined boot camp.  I was never a big exerciser- team- joiner.  More of an individual exerciser. My friend Tammy leads jazzercise.  She is a great exerciser joiner/motivator.  In fact,  so much so that she now has her own wildly successful Jazzercize franchise.  She is the ultimate jazzer-teacher.  She can motivate anyone to great health.  I can not do Jazzercize or anything that has a beat and you have to lift your legs while moving your arms to.  I can dance a little, but that is different.  I need more of a threat to get things really moving.  Boot camp is perfect.  My coach does not yell at us, but is so strong physically, that she could kick my ass with one look.  Actually, she is really quite friendly.  Motivating and kind..but also good 'n' tough.  Here is the best part.  We workout outside, in a parking lot,  at a park.  No mirrors.  Mirrors while one is working out is cruel.   No mirrors when I go walking and no mirrors at the park.  I stopped at Starbucks today after camp and ordered a coffee.  The woman behind the counter gave me a funny look and handed my my coffee and almost said no charge, but I handed her the $ before she could get it out.  I then stepped into the restroom and saw why she thought I was homeless looking for a handout.  No mirrors at boot camp..so I had a red face, hair all over and black marks on my clothing from working out in the parking lot.  Nice.  Next time I might look in the car mirror before I go into a public place.  Or maybe not.

Mirrors are funny things.  Do we really look like we look?  Or do I look like the photos I delete on Facebook?  I look in the mirror less and less these days.  My mom can attest to that.  She is always telling me to wear more lipstick.  Or any lipstick.  No lipstick at boot camp either.  So there is a 5:30 am class and a 8:30 am class.  I have yet to see the 5:30 class.  I try. Really I try.  I set my clothes out.  I set my alarm.  Shoes out, water in fridge, socks clean.  5:00  alarm is just flat wrong.  God love you if you wake up at 5 everyday and go to work.  I have seen 5 am coming from the other side, but waking up to it and not eventually getting on a plane to a lovely destination..is really hard.  I know you people get a lot done in a day, those of you who wake up at 5.  I would too.  I would probably be famous by now if I woke up at 5.  Might even blog more.   Write more songs.  Write a book.  Grow luscious vegetables in my garden, because I fertilize at the right time. Might start a community garden next door in the empty space.  Might feed the hungry in the community with the gorgeous tomatoes and squash.  Might win an award for Best Community Giver Person Helper Girl Farmer.  Might bring some of the vegetables to the Farmers Market in Cedar Park and start a veggie stand.  Might meet more people.  Might find a long lost friend that I wondered about for 20 years.  Might be a friend that works for Ellen DeGeneres and is just back home visiting her mom and dad.  Might give her my CD to give to Ellen.  Ellen might love it and have me sing "Ageless" on the show.  Might then buy us a real farm and become a singer/songwriter/small farmer.   Might call our small farm "Morning Glory" and have community gatherings and concerts.  Might be a dream come true.   All this..  if I could only wake up at 5. 

So our boot camp for the late risers ends at 9:30am.  Sometimes we see another boot camp getting ready to work out across the parking lot, starting at 9:30.  The women are definitely professionals.    They have a lot of gear.  Big bouncy exercise balls.  Clean towels over their shoulders.  Expensive shoes. Heavier weights.    Visors.  No one in our camp wears visors.  I have a vision of bringing a boom box (oh man..just really dated myself)  and playing 'When Your a Jet" when they get out of their Beamers.  Bah dah dah dah dah..    We then would have a boot camp rumble of sorts...  to see who is the toughest.  Squats, pushups, situps and lunges.  Survival of the fittest.  Who will have to leave the parking lot?  Oh sure, our class is technically over, but we will leave on our OWN time.  Not when you inch your way onto the pavement..all clean and smelling good and smirky.  We'll show you..  Our leader is tiny and tough.  We will fight till the end.  Or until she says it's time to leave.  

I feel a lot better when I work out.  I do not find that people are as annoying either.  Endorphins are good.   I am working my way to that Corona Bikini.  I will give you all 100 dollars if I do not wear that Corona bikini on the 4th of July out at Luckenbach.  Ok...I am lying.  I would actually just like to fit into my summer clothes of last year.  That's a good goal.  I would like to wear some of the cute dresses my husband buys me.  Hippy dresses.  Tiny little hippy dresses.  If I could just wear one with out thinking that I look like a mom trying to wear a dress from that pre- teen store,  Justice...I'll be good. 

So remember:  wake up at 5=great veggies=tiny teenie hippy dresses= looking fine on The Ellen Show. 

I'll be thinking of you in 5 1/2 hours.  Or 7 hours.  Or...





Wednesday  April 11, 2012  11:36 pm

Comments

  1. Thank you for this Tina! I am dreading "running" my first 5K this weekend and the way I have been eating and not exercising these past couple weeks, I am just terrified to even show up! But you are right about exercise. As much as I always dread doing it, and as much as I may hate it when I'm in the middle of Tae Bo and my arms are shaking and Billy asks me to bend over and do reverse flys...I have to admit, I feel SO great afterwards. I feel happier, stronger, and accomplished. If only I could wake up at 5am every day with that in mind!

    P.S. Think of me and pray for me in 56 hours. My muscles would appreciate it dearly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! (Do you think it's possible to have VICARIOUS exercise? If so, I'll have some through you. *wink* ) And I LOVE Ellen having you sing 'Ageless'! I can totally see it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts