Perfect

I'm watching Public Access on a Sunday night.  Luke is at a buddy's house and Walt is winding down from a 4 hour solo gig.  He wanted to drive home (3 hours) but instincts and good friends told him otherwise.  I am glad he is staying where he is.  Sometimes it's hard to ignore that thing that tells you to turn around, slow down, turn left, stop quick, don't go, look both ways, kiss someone now, hold a hand.  It feels silly to trust that voice inside.  Like, is it ME who is talking to myself or is it the voice of God..or a spirit..or friends or my mom or what?   But, I say trust it.  Trust that voice. 


The voice just told me to change channels from Public Access, which should have been arty and insightful, but was just kind of depressing..so I  switched  to the Hispanic Public Access show.  It is a variety show with the most animated characters I have ever seen.  It's live too.  The people love it.  Wide eyed, over the top physical "I Love Lucy" comedy.  I took German in high school, so I have no idea what they are saying, but they are so outrageous and fun that I totally get it.  Now there is a commercial for talented children called Picante Chil....dang it ..too fast.. but I could tell it was wild and colorful  too.    El Humores Los Comediantes!!   That is the name of the comedy show.  So it's just me and the dog and Los Comediantes tonight.  And some decent red wine.  And you.  Me, The pup, Los Comediantes, red wine and thou.   Pretty poetic, if you ask me.  I ended up here after a domestic day in the suburbs.   Local breakfast, Target, bored child, 2 neighbor kids rescuing him, hide and seek in the house, dog walks, dinner with mom, trespassed in the new houses in her neighborhood, back home, another walk  and now,  writing.   It was a perfect day, again.

 I know that I have had the opportunity to perform in some really cool places.  It is such a complete joy to be able to do what we love for a living.   There have been some perfect gigs.  When I say perfect, I mean "feeling" wise.    Today's perfect was different.  It was boring and really square.  Two weeks ago we sang at The Cherokee Music Festival.  Not boring and far from square.  It was elegant.  Beautiful.  Classy.  1st rate.  They brought us champagne before our gig.   That's all you really need to know.  It was up hill from there.  I think we had 2 assistants each, but I am not sure.  Maybe it was 3.  Either way, we did not tell them that we weren't famous...we just let them think it, and subsequently, we drank champagne. 

I can see the change coming.  I see glimpses of pre teen in my house and it's a little funny yet frightening.   I listen to my friends who have older kids.  I promise that I am paying attention to the moments.  Nothing was making my son happy this morning.  Sulky and cranky.  Those were his 2 moods for awhile.  He was pretty tired from the weekend...and his baseball team took 2nd in the end of season tournament..again..for the 3rd time.  Pre season, mid and end of season tournaments.  Kind of a bummer.  So I am sure he was feeling the after effects of that too.  He perked up when his buddy John came over.  John was bored too.  (it's not even summer vacation yet)..  Then the doorbell rang again.  Another friend!  Joy!  Rapture!  No more bad mama jokes!  No more of my mom singing my pop songs in her opera voice!  No more mom telling me that cleaning my room would make me feel better. 

So the boys played hide and seek, tennis baseball and see how hard we can hit each other.  Oh..and see how much we can make the dog chase us, get mad at the dog for chasing us, put the dog outside, let him in from incessant scratching, make the dog chase us and repeat.  I was hiding in the one room that was off limits to hide and seek.  Our bedroom.  No hiding in mama's dresser.  No no no.  No hidey.  Off limits.  No reason, just off limits.  That is a perfect set up to snoop when he is about 13 years old.  Really, I just wanted one room to remain clean.  So the dog and I were banished to our bedroom for an hour or so.    When I returned to the Lost Boys of Cedar Park, I found one boy looking for the other 2.  I looked with him and finally found them.   They were hiding on the counter in the kitchen.  Too hard to explain, so I will enclose a photo.   No one got hurt today!  That is a perfect day in and of itself.

 Several hours Later I was walking the dog around the block and saw Luke and John playing catch in the street.  (they had moved on to John's house)  Luke did not see me immediately.  When he turned around, he saw us and said, ''"Well HI!"  A great greeting.   He then asked me to throw the ball to them for a few.  Then after a few wild pitches, I decided to carry on and leave the almost big boys alone.  I said, "OK,  See you tomorrow..have fun!"    I started walking away and then Luke said.."OK bye.  Love You."   I paused and said,   "Love you too"..and on we walked.  Actually I kind of ran.  I was so excited,  I kind of ran.   I use ran lightly.   The dog didn't know how to react, with my "running" and all..so he just pulled me like a sled dog for about a block or two. 

See, boring, square and perfect.  The birds ate our one ripening tomato.  Still a perfect day.  My husband decided to stay instead of driving home, listening to his instincts..perfect.  I had time to write. Perfect.  Son said I Love You, without hesitation and worry that he would not be cool, Perfect.








Tomorrow we sing for Soldiers in San Antonio.  I hope that it is a perfect gig,  and day, for them. 

Monday  May 28th  2012  12 am







  

Comments

  1. What do you do when that voice has led you astray in the past? My voice has a very ODD sense of humor and irony. Could my voice be from a source less omniscient(sp?) and more impish than most people's? That would explain SO much. Thanks for the read, Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you friend.....miss you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes life is so perfect, in its imperfections.......if we just let it be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tina! Great story!

    Our weekend was made perfect when we arrived home today and found our first Morning Glory blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I pray for an ordinary day...sometimes they are the best ones. Thanks, Tina, for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts