Prayers and Coffee

In the words of Steve Martin, from the classic movie, "The Jerk", "The first day seemed like a week.  And the second day seemed like 5 days.  And the 3rd day seemed like a week again.  And the fourth day seemed like 8 days.  But the 5th day you went to see your mother and that seemed just like a day."

On to better days.

Coffee is good.  Coffee makes mama happy.  This morning I had my coffee in our sandbox.  It's no ordinary sandbox though.   My husband decided after I showed him a photo on Pinterest (ie: crack), that he would build a sandbox for us to put our feet in.   I am not really good at guessing the size of this thing, but it is as big as about 9 baby pools..and it is in the shape of home plate.  It took the place of our peach tree that did not make it through the drought a year or two ago.  I never really spent time in that corner, because of the bugs and all.  But it did shade a treehouse that Walt and our friend Sam built for our son when he was about 6.  Now the treehouse is configured into a shanty of sorts or a small cabana or an alter or a meditation bench for little people.   It can also be used as a star gazing platform, once we build a ladder against it.   Star gazing.  Or neighbor spying.  Either way, it gives you a more vertical view of the world.

The sandbox has been a welcome addition to our backyard.   I kind of fought the whole home plate design, but I wanted my husband to be the King of His domain..or at least the cleanup batter.   This morning I made my super strong coffee and walked out to the sandbox for morning prayers.  Prayers and coffee.  A good combination.  The healing effect of cool sand on my feet, the warm cafe Verona in my cup with the handle that is not too wide or too big that fits my grip just right.   For a moment I was in Huntington Beach in my beach chair, listening to the the Pacific Ocean, wind blowing through my hair.    Ok..maybe that's a stretch, but I did feel at peace for about 10 minutes.   Quiet.  Cool morning.  Coffee.  Sand.  Prayers.  God.  I felt aligned.   For 10 minutes.  Pretty good for a suburban oasis.  

I prayed for truth.  I prayed for kindness.  I prayed for rain.  I prayed for you.  I prayed for my family.  I prayed for release.   I prayed for Divine Order.  I prayed for our parents.  I prayed for direction.  I prayed for peace.  I prayed that the dog next door would stop barking.

I prayed for the school near our home.    I love that school and I can not wait to see the kids in a week, on their first day, walking by our house and then through the park,  on to a new school year.  Maybe I'll get to see a crying mom or two sitting in the park after she drops off her child.    Maybe I will cry with them.  Or bring them a chocolate doughnut with extra sprinkles.

I prayed for guidance.  I watched gymnastics on TV last night just for a moment.  I stood in front of the screen in awe of the dedication, persistence and strength.  I want that.  I want to feel that again.  Dedication, persistence and strength.   I prayed that I would be guided to the place where I can  use the gifts I have been given,  to my highest ability.   Hopefully not the balance beam.  I will really have to get busy if that's the sign I receive.

Life on the balance beam.   Focus, keep your shoulders back, head up and trust your instincts.  Or you might fall..and spill your coffee.

August 18 10:37 am










Comments

  1. Goodness...we use that jerk scene quite a bit at our house...plus the "anything between the chiclets and erasers" part...Anyway, really enjoyed reading this...I find great peace in my yard and have pretended the passing sounds of cars are waves...true story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts