TBC

Well ya think that since I made you wait 2 weeks and a day, I would have a really good story to follow my last posting. No I did not win a Grammy. I did not steal one either.

Wellll..here's what happened. I had an interview with the president. I sat down in his new office. He looked at my pathetic resume and asked me why I was here. I said.."I am going to win a Grammy someday." He then said.. "This is a fu%^%$#$% up business. Why would anyone want to be in the music business?"

Pause...... Great. Now what do I do? Did I have a witty comeback? no. Did I get up and leave and say.."I'll show you Mr New Negative President", and storm out? no. Did I laugh? yep. I laughed. I thought it was so bizarre that the new pres said the f word followed by music business..that it caught me so off guard that I could either cry or laugh. So I laughed. Big. I laughed so hard that he gave me a job.

I was the front desk receptionist for The Grammys. I could see the gold statues in the case taunting me as I answered the phone day after day after day. It was one of the most boring , tedious jobs that I have ever had. I am sure I was not good at anything that had to do with any of it. I could answer the phone in a cheerful manner though. It indeed was not the glamorous life had pictured for myself when I had that dream the few days before. I worked, went to my other job, sang when I could and did it all over again. He was right. This part of the music business sucked. The people I worked with were not musical. The Pres was a musician. He was working a real job, when all he really wanted was to be doing music for a living too..at least I think that was the case. He did do a lot for The Grammys at the time, but I think his desire to just be a musical human again, surfaced in many ugly ways. He was let go a few years after I quit. Maybe he said F too much in meetings.

I got to go to The Grammys 2 or 3 times..I think. Good parties. Good food. Good wine. Nice folks. I was there when Milli Vanilli lip synced their performance and won the Best New Artist Award. Good times. I should have kyped their trophy when I had the chance.

I guess The Grammys were a bench mark for me at the time. There was no "American Idol" to try out for. Lord knows I probably would have..with my big hair, bigger ego and screamy rock and roll-ish voice. I thought I was awesome. A gift that the 20's give you that slowly erodes over time. Ask me what I think of myself now..go ahead, ask me.

I thought the Grammys were supposed to be classy. I thought one was rewarded for their success, sales, hard work and talent. But here comes Milli Vanilli. They should have been my clue to run and say...YES!! You were right..this is a f&^^%$$#%up business...and YOU are to blame. You nominated them when you knew that they were a bunch of fakers. You gave a Grammy to 2 German dancer guys with braids. Rob and Fab. Best New Artist, 1990. Look it up. Wikipedia ..there is a photo of Rob, Fab and the pres.

They finally had their Grammy revoked when SURPRISE Gomer.. somebody found out that they were frickin' FAKING it. They won over The Indigo Girls..who indeed sing and still are going strong. And a darling couple to boot. But I digress..

That year Bonnie Raitt, Lyle Lovett, kd Lang, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and The Traveling Wilburys won Grammys too. But does anyone remember that? No. It was clouded by the das braided ones. ( I know of their terrible demise as well..so I will not continue on about how lame they were out of respect..starting now.)

I really have nothing against the Pres. I mean, I am the one who had the dream about working for the Grammys. I am the one who kind of willed my way into into the whole thing. I guess it's kind of like OZ if you think about it. I got to see the man behind the curtain. I got to actually go to the Emerald City..and click my heels and meet the wizard. It did not dissuade me from continuing my pursuit of music as a career. In a round about way it brought me to this...my sweet life as I know it today.

I mean, if I didn't have that dream..work as a receptionist, hate my job so much that I begged to have a part time position, get my friend Tammy to work the other part of the time, finally quit, move to Nashville about a year after, encourage Tammy to move too and transfer to the Grammy office in Nashville, have her just so happen to tell me about a restaurant on Music Row that was hiring, get a job there, bartend and serve Walt Wilkins a beer that one spring day in May...I may still be in LA..dreaming of singing for friends like you. OR I might have been the next president of the Grammys.

I won. Love won. Love wins. Again.

Comments

  1. and WE win because you are here with us. This is a great story Tina...good reading--the Grammy chapter. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the job may have been boring & tedious, but I'm sure you were gr8 to hear on the other end of the line....guess that Miss GG stuff is still paying dividends...!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, we definitely win too because we get the honor and privilege of seeing you & Walt onstage singing your hearts out together for no other reason but the love of music (and each other, I'm sure *wink*). I hate when Nashville ruins that! That's why I love this town...there's no big fake hype....just real, raw talent & pure love of music!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She brings us salvation, one glass at a time. Her congregation is slowly sanctified...Our Lady Of The Avenue. A beautiful song about a special time for you and Walt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts