Target

So today I was at Target. I am lucky to shop when all the moms and old people shop. I am going to enjoy this while it lasts. My guess is that in the New Year I will be so busy with book tours and music tours that I will look back on my shopping days with envy of my old self. How's that for a resolution? I plan on being so wildly successful that I will have to hire people to clean, mow, shop and hopefully edge. That is livin'. My neighbor down the street went back to work as a teacher last year. She now has a cleaning company come 2X's a month. I think that's why she went back to work..to pay for cleaning. Worth it, if you ask me. Oh sure there is that old feeling of helping the youth of our country..but man, if I work and make my own dough, I wouldn't have to clean the toilets... in my own home.

So while in line at our nice Target (I used to have bad Target luck. Everytime I purchased something, I had to take it back.) (My Target luck has since changed..especially since I do not, if at all possible, go to the dreaded W.) (Not for any ethical reasons..just regional) (Not a pretty one, the W close to us..not a fancy, smoothie making, pretty nail place one..just kind of tired and well..kind of redneck) So while in line I hear this: "Well..she's going to have to deal with it".." I don't know what set her off".." How about I play the Mommy and you play the daughter" So I casually turned around and saw that it was a 30 something "mom" talking to her 4 year old daughter about her concern about the crying 2 year old daughter in the cart. Nice. She was so sarcastic, that the 2 other women in line with me did that " I-think-I-need-gum reach to see who was the awful person talking so loud was that we all cringed and had to see what a real jerk looked like in person" look.

This person ( I hesitate to call her mom) was a professional looking woman with 2 lovely daughters shopping for Christmas. Merry Christmas Mrs. Grinch. There were 50 other people in various lines at Target who would surround those girls with love, not sarcasm and fill them with the great Spirit of the season. But here we were. All helpless and all wishing that one of us would say..BE KIND. This is all you have. These moments are the BEST in your tiredass LIFE..Enjoy. You bitch.

But we all know where that would lead. She would blame her sad, sarcastic life on her crying 2 year old and evolved, old soul 4 year old and make them miserable by telling them there is no Santa or Rudolph is dead or Dora is just like she is...a big fat meanie. So what do we do in situations like that? There are so many good people. I know and you know that there are more good people in the world than not. But seriously, what do we do? This is not a crime..I know we would do all we could do to stop injustice. But this is emotional robbery. I was crushed for a full 1/2 day thinking of how these girls will grow up, maybe be like there mom and pass the poison along to their children and so on. God forbid, maybe date our son. So give me some insight..and don't tell me just to pray about it. I do that. I know you do that. Can we call a Mother Theresa help line? Does anybody have answers for this kind of situation?

Even the rednecks at Walmart don't use the sarcasm to talk to their children like that. They just come right out and tell them they are stupid.

I just tried to spellcheck myself and it does not seem to be working. Sorry. I know that I use it as a crutch. I love spellcheck. Here, I will spell somehing wtong on purpsoses and see if it works nowe. Damn. Nothing. Oh well . On to more interesting things like evil moms.

So, remember those signs you could hold up while you drove in the 80's that said things like "Looking Good" or " Hot Babe" or " Tonight?" . Maybe we should come up with something like that for awful people in line that talk to their offspring like they are The Needlers on Saturday Night Live. How about " You Suck as a Parent" or "Thanks for ruining your kid's life" or " You should have stayed a working mom". Yeah.. I think I will start working on that.

OK...OK..I know..

I guess I will let that energy die down a bit and send you off with a positive Good Night. It is going to snow here tomorrow in Austin. The family is off to celebrate A Worrell Weekend in The Hill Country. We will see our treasured friends, family and welcome new folks with light and song. As we begin our journey through this Holiday Season..Let us carry the thought of Peace, Love and Kindness in all situations. Who knows..it just might work.


11:41 Thursday 12-3 09

Comments

  1. Target Lady needs to listen and pay attention to the Trace Adkins song "You're Gonna Miss This"

    Karin says...too bad we can't interview people before they have children.

    Stay Happy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts